A friend of mine from college contacted me not too long ago about helping out with her latest costume, an accurate Hawkgirl costume from the Brightest Day series. She is a very skilled fashion designer and has created numerous other costumes but wanted assistance with molding and prop making, which is where I came in. I started out with a mannequin head that just happened to be almost the exact size as her head. I then covered it with a thin layer of clay and began working out the basic shape using lenses from an old pair of sunglasses to serve as place holders for lenses after molding.
For the actual lenses I ordered a mirrored yellow lens for an Airsoft face mask and cut two smaller lenses from it. The mirroring doesn’t translate well enough in the photos.The rest was as simple as laying down the black and yellow color scheme. Here she is wearing the finished piece.
The other few pieces she entrusted me with were the chest emblem and the mace which also had to be made match the design of the comic. The chest emblem was cut from thin styrene plastic and set inside of a piece of PVC pipe filled using bondo.
I then molded it to make a resin copy that would attach to her harness.
The mace was created from a foam ball coated in resin with cast spikes attached. That was then attached to a piece of pipe with styrene details, a faux leather wrap, and claw pummel.
She recently finished her costume including her hand made wings and went on to win first place in the “From the Page to the Stage: Comic Book Pagent” at Dragon Con this year. Here is a photo i managed to snag from the convention.